Shut Down Your Computer With A Cell Phone Using Dropbox
If you forgot to shut down your PC when departing from your home or office and suddenly realized about that after traveling a long distance, you would return and then shut down your PC. In such a situation mobile phone users can remotely shut down PC or notebook by using Dropbox. But for this, your pc must be pre-installed with Dropbox. Here are some easy steps for you to follow on how to shut down Your Computer with a Cell Phone Using Dropbox.
- Installed Dropbox
- The computer should be connected with internet.
- Internet enabled cell phone e.g Android, iPhone, HTC cell phones etc.
- A simple script to check for a computer file in your Dropbox directory. Download the zipped filed and extract it at any place of your computer.
After extracting the zipped file you can see two files:
- trigger.bat under the folder drsd.
DOES A SMALL EDITING IN THE SCRIPT- Just right-click on the remote_shutdown.vbs file and select “Edit”
You will get the following code in your note pad manager or a factor else.
Dim fl1 Set fl1 = CreateObject(“Scripting.FileSystemObject”)
If (fl1.FileExists(“your_dropbox_folder_pathsecret_file.txt”)) Then
Dim oShell Set oShell = CreateObject(“WScript.Shell”) ‘shutdown, wait for 5 seconds, force running apps to close
oShell.Run “%comspec% /c shutdown /s /t 5 /f”, , TRUE
Msgbox “You will be shut down shortly”
SETTING YOUR PC TASK SCHEDULER FOR TRIGGERING THE ABOVE BATCH FILE
- Press Win key and type “task scheduler” in search box. Right-click on “Task Scheduler” > choose “Run as administrator”.
- In the upcoming screen simply hit “Create Task” from the right pane.
- Provide a name of the process and examine the box to “Run with highest privileges”.
- Go to the “Trigger” tab and simply just hit “New..”. A pop up screen will appear.
- Now keep the “Begin the task:” choice as “On a schedule”, select the “Daily” key under setting. At the beginning time choice, delay time about 10 minutes. Under advanced settings check the box to “Repeat process every: 5 minutes and set ‘Indefinitely’ as the duration (Set the from the drop down menu) and lastly, hit on OK
- Switch to “Action” tab and simply just press “New”. Set the “Action: Start a program”, at the “program/script” box locate the batch file trigger.bat) by hitting the “Browse” key and hit OK.
- Lastly, go to “Settings” tab and examine the box to “Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed”.
- Now hit on OK.
Your pc is now completely configured. When you are outside and your pc is on and connected with the internet, just log-in to your Dropbox account from your cell phone or any other pc, upload a text data file with the same name as you specified previously to Dropbox directory (secret_file.txt).
You are done and now your pc will be shutdown in next 5 minutes. An you will get specific log at test.txt file in the same directory drds.
Note: Immediate after the next duration of signing into your PC, remove the secret_file.txt from your Dropbox account, however your pc will again shut down. You can also develop your schedule task settings as such a way, so that the task begins after a particular time every day.
Shut Down Your Computer With A Cell Phone Using Dropbox
Here is the complete procedure to remotely shut down your Windows XP PC from cell phone or other computer systems using Dropbox
Though the working algorithm is same for both Windows seven and XP, I made some small changes in the batch file trigger.bat to work effectively in Windows XP. Also the options in Task Scheduler wizard is little different for Windows XP.
Here is the complete guide to remote shut down your Windows XP via Dropbox. Your Windows XP must be pre-installed with Dropbox. Download the zipped file Windows XP and follow the below mentioned steps.
- Extract the zipped file at any place of your computer. You will get two files asremote_shutdown.vbs and trigger.bat.
- Now right-click on remote_shutdown.vbs and choose to edit.
- Replace the part “your_Dropbox_folder_Path” with your Dropbox folder path and save the file. As example, E:My Dropbox
- Now Press the key Win + R and type “control schedtasks” without the quotes and hit Enter.
- Press on Add Scheduled Task > Next. You will be asked to choose the program that you want to run in a scheduled manner.
- Simply press on “Browse” and locate the file trigger.bat, give a appropriate name for this task, select “Daily” to perform this task and then Next.
- Change the starting time to delay it for 5-10 minutes from current one.
- Specify the user name and the password under which the task will run and hit next.
- At the finishing step of the wizard, check the box to open advance properties after the “Finish” and hit on Finish.
- A window with your task name will show up. Flip to “Schedule” tab and hit “Advanced”.
- In advanced schedule option check the box to repeat task, change the repeating properties as the screenshot below and then hit OK.
- Detect that at the “Until” option I have put the time 1:29 PM as the starting time was 1:30PM. Put this option wisely for yourself.
- Now head to the Settings tab and deselect the check box pointing “Stop the task if it runs for”.
- Hit on Apply then OK.
Now your Windows XP is configured. Whenever you want to shut down your PC a remotely bit just log-in to your Dropbox account from the remote device like Mobile cell phone or PC and send the file secret_file.txt to your Dropbox folder. Your PC will be shut down in next 5 minutes.
Above provided information will surely help you to Shut down Your Computer with a Cell Phone Using Dropbox….. guys, you should try it once…..
You May Also Check this Section:
|Postpaid vs Prepaid Connections||Smartphones Are Better Than Tablets|
|10 Tips To Save Money From Taxes||Difference Between Policy And Scheme|
|How To Make Video Call Through Internet||Features Of Kit Kat Android|